Eff's Rambles (Archive)

5/27/2005

Just another thing that bothers me.

Well, in one of my older posts I mentioned the issue of appropriate timing of references to the bad behavior of others in defense of oneself and one or more parties that are a part of a debate, and here I shall touch on that breifly to make a small gripe. To all that feel it is necessary, I sincere doubt most people need a lecture about how some improper behavior is a. common; b., committed by both sides of a debate, whether liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican. It adds very little to my understanding in general to remind me that "both sides do whatever," i.e., things I already know, which I admit is not much, but that type of hypocrisy is not conceptually foreign to me. It is also not very enlightened nor brilliant to bring it up. So, in the quest to be the master of fairness, if you ever read this blog post please do not bother me with this lecture. Have a pleasant whenever.

2 Comments:

  • I must admit I have resorted to this tactic in the past because I find it just as hypocritical when a liar accuses someone else of lying or when a thief accuses someone else of stealing. In other words...the pot calling the kettle black. I think most people will also use this rebuttal when faced with the same sort of accusations as I've just mentioned.

    By Blogger The SeaWitch, at 5/31/2005 01:03:00 PM  

  • Well, it is an understandable one in some context, though it is especially annoying when third party commentators inject that lecture on balance. I think there is value in pointing out the hypocrisy of others but one should try not to use that to convict others of unproven allegations.

    By Blogger Eff, at 6/01/2005 07:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 

Online dictionary at www.Answers.com

Concise information in one click