Eff's Rambles (Archive)

12/13/2005

And finally

This is post 160 and the last hurrah.

On some issues I shall give my position and briefly why I hold it.

Abortion: I am pro choice because I have faith in most women to decide the issue with a good heart. I also think fighting it is futile.

On immigration: I believe it should be controlled, but not based on race. Objective controlls based on economic need and the capacity of the nation to absorb the immigrants should be the main reasons for limiting it. I also believe immigration laws should be simple enough to understand.

On gay right: I am pro gay rights. I do understand the offense felt toward gay marriage, considering that many people faithfully believe it is improper, even sinful, or nearly so, but I think that secular societies are not beholden to their concerns on the issue. And I believe it the individual, so theories about the downfall of society do not hold water for me. I have no reason to hate homosexuals, and so on.

On the Iraq war: While I am undecided on when and how to leave. I was not for it. I might not have agreed with all of the arguments people made against it, but my position I do not agree with having gone to war; I was unconvinced of Saddam's ability to be a viable threat, and think domino democracy is idealistic and dangerous. I also felt it could endanger regional stability. The moral questions of how right are sanctions, and what kind of government the status quo before the war would have been ruling Iraqis had the war never began are other issues, and very subjective ones.

Conspiracy theories: I do not like them. That is mainly because I need major convincing to call the intent of accused conspirators, or the supposed puppets of theirs, false, and proclaim only one theory as the truth.

The environment: I believe in balance, but I lean mostly pro environment, believing corporations should be regulated, punished strongly for violations, and made to reason very well why they cannot follow a particular guideline.

Guns: I have no specific position on most current laws about guns. My supporting principle for my pro gun position is that the right of self defense against intended harm is more important than the counter hypothetical of random harm, and that guns fall strongly and objectively within the capacity to effect decent defense. I do not claim this will always be the case. But I also do not believe in circumstantial data that attempts to refute the claim of defensive effectiveness. I think such use is fallacious and unethical.

The death penalty: I oppose it. I believe killing may only be justified in war, depending on the justness thereof, as well as the manner of killing, and self defense. I think it is unethical to kill contained people, and for economic reasons. I also do not want innocents killed.

On religion: I support its existence as a means of bringing some people comfort. But I am an agnostic whom leans atheist. But I do not blame religion for most of the world's evils and pain. I choose, instead, to blame irrational nature in people.

4 Comments:

  • Abortion: Yup, think a woman has a right to decide. Also think contraception's a pretty good route.

    On immigration: Yup.

    On gay right: Yup.

    On the Iraq war: Hard one, too long (for me) to go into in this post

    Conspiracy theories: Love ‘em – even tho they’re all crap!

    Guns: Yeah, well, guns don’t kill people, people do. In some countries gun ownership isn’t a problem, in others it is.

    The death penalty: I also do not want innocents killed. But some people really cross the line.

    On religion: I’m not that religious. Nothing against it, and often I admire it, and people who are genuinely 'religious' (e.g. Gandhi). During the ‘dark ages’, when Greece was occupied by the Ottomans, Orthodoxy was one of the things which bonded Greeks together. Just that I don’t like the way it is sometimes abused, becoming the antithesis of what it really stands for. Nor do I like the way political correctness is being used to slowly suffocate religions (oops! crap conspiracy theory there!)

    Sorry to see you go, but if you’re not enjoying it anymore you’re probably right to move onward and forward – you can always come ‘back’! Best wishes.

    By Blogger Mike, at 12/19/2005 12:47:00 PM  

  • I have come to a final decision. The blog shall not be deleted by me, but nor shall it remain under my control. I plan to make it so I can no longer access it. I need to work somethings out, but by a day or two it should all be taken care of.

    By Blogger Eff, at 12/19/2005 04:04:00 PM  

  • Shouldn't be too hard to do, if that's what you want. Enjoy whatever you move on to.

    By Blogger Mike, at 12/19/2005 05:50:00 PM  

  • That is a good plan, I think. Better than deleting everything, imo.

    By Blogger melusina, at 12/20/2005 01:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 

Online dictionary at www.Answers.com

Concise information in one click